Brainstorming Magazine Names & Research


While my group members solidify their decisions on their magazine locations, I will be performing research on my magazine cover page and will be brainstorming some magazine masthead names.

Some of the names me and my group have been brainstorming are as follows:
- Journey
- Explore
- Adventure
- Destination
- Places

We thought of these names while trying to be unique and original. We did this by staying away from already popular names like the “Travel + Leisure” magazine that is commonly used.

To perform this research, I will primarily be looking at images from Google since Google can provide an abundance of types of images for travel magazine cover pages. I will be narrowing my research to those magazines that primarily have a beach theme to it, since I will be doing Miami as my tourist location for my issue of the magazine.

One of a big travel magazine convention that I noticed is how the models in the pictures (if there are any) don’t look directly into the camera about half of the time. The other half the models do look directly into the camera. This can be seen in the following pictures:
        

Those that do look into the camera are as follows:
     

I believe these conventions are interchangeable since the main attraction is both the location and the model. Moreover, the picture is taken so nothing is overpowered, meaning that both the model and the scenery are equally displayed. Regardless, when a viewer looks at the picture they are meant to first look at the person and acknowledge that they look relaxed at the location. This is crucial since the target audience for travel magazines are usually under a lot of stress, and seeing someone relaxed in a paradise, will persuade them to travel to that location.

Also, the location for these pictures reflect the beauty of nature with the water. This is where I simply have to use my logic for the cover picture since I’m not going to take a picture of an artifact when I have the gorgeous beach right next to home.

Lastly, the about of cover titles are very minimal. This may be done to add to the effect of tranquility since the magazine producer is not bombarding the reader with cover titles like a drama magazine would.

Because I am focusing on Miami, I will be taking pictures of the beach that captures the beauty of it. Also, the use of a model will be decided when the time comes; if I find that it makes it better then I will try to get someone to model for the photo.

In my next blog post I will be focusing on the psychology of colors since my group and I need to focus on a specific color palette to convey our “vibe”. In addition, we will solidify the areas my group and I will be focusing on and the fonts we will use throughout the entire magazine.

Side note: I will be using Canva as my magazine production website!

Citations:
Google images: Search “Travel Magazine”

Popular posts from this blog

Double Page Spread Done!

Table Of Contents!

Using Canva!